What is a healthy body weight?
Healthy body weight
Maintaining a healthy body weight is essential for the well-being of life as too much weight predisposes the body to many health problems like diabetes, high blood pressure and cardiovascular diseases. At the same time, the person with too low body weight has higher chances of osteoporosis, fertility issues, growth issue and low immunity. The Body mass index (BMI) is the most common method to find whether a person has an ideal body weight or not. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) categorizes person weight into ideal, overweight and underweight.
1. The person with BMI less than 18.5 are underweight
2. A person with a BMI of 18.5-24.9 is considered ideal
3. A person with BMI over 30 are obese
Factors determining weight
Every person has a different bodyweight which depends upon many factors like
· Family history and genetics
· Race and ethnicity
· Age and gender
· Muscle-fat distribution
· Body figure
· Eating and physical activity habits
How to maintain ideal body weight
Maintaining a healthy body weight is necessary to avoid significant health problems and gaining more energy to enjoy life at full term. Following are the few tips to achieve healthy body weight
· Avoid overeating food and eat in small portions
· Avoid overeating sugar and calories as these lead to an increase in body weight
· Drink plenty of water as water helps to maintain healthy body weight by changing the fat distribution ratio in the body
· Be aware of the food that is eaten. People should know the number of calories they eat and consume. This leads to the idea of the need for the body.
· Exercise regularly and consume the extra calories to avoid fat accumulation in the body. Exercise strengthens the muscles and gives a perfect body curvature.
· Having enough and sound sleep is necessary for the proper functioning of the body.
· Determination to continue to struggle to achieve a healthy weight and then maintain a healthy body weight.
You can be classified as "overweight" and still be healthy. Maintaining a healthy diet and increasing activity levels can increase your health and life, while reducing health problems. Occupational medicine studies show this reduces lost time from work, and from creating advanced bone & joint problems.